cellhunter - openbmap - opencellid revisited... (was Re: CellHunter is moving to a new server)

Onen onen.om at free.fr
Thu Sep 10 22:24:32 CEST 2009

Hi,

Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
> AFAIK, OpenBmap is told to import data from other projects

We have imported the opencellid data once, to bring right now better
coverage to the users. But this is supposed to be temporary. The target
being to have only openBmap data or data from projects which share the
level of quality we aim at.

> AFAIK, OpenBmap was started because of different views about important
> data to collect between OpenCellID and OpenBMap devels.

Yes, we want the data to be of the best possible quality. This implies
logging more details. And we try to make the clients sticking to this.

> 1) if OpenBMap imports from other projects, why it's missing the 7milj
> cellhunter cells?

There are not 7 M cells. 140K or so I think. And at the time of the last
import, no cellhunter data had made their way to opencellid database
yet. But it was planned by cellhunter, thus we did not want to have to
import them, and have to solve the conflicts when importing opencellid
(embedding cellhunter data).

> 2) AFAIK There are no tools to benefit from the collected data yet

I am working on a D-Bus service giving your location on your phone,
note/net-book using an embedded database. Help is welcome :-)

> 3) Can't see a OpenCellID client for Freerunner

Opencellid said there is... I think he referred to cellhunter, because
cellhunter said he would upload the data from his project to opencellid
on a regular basis.

> I earlier tried CellHunter, didn't work. For me OpenBmap is just
> easiest to use.

Partly thanks to your feedback that I have tried to take into account.
Thanks for this!

Onen