fatfingershell ?

pike pike-openmoko at kw.nl
Mon Sep 14 10:03:50 CEST 2009

Hi

I just *love* the fatfingershell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV4p414_VJM
http://fz.hobby-site.org/om/fatfingershell/

.. and i'm really curious if there's been
any update since april 1 ?

If I think real hard, there's a number of
things that come to mind to make it fully
functional. Some of them I'm puzzling on,
others are beyond me, but perhaps people
on this list have suggestions ?

Here's a list I wrote:

*to handle incoming signals from the dbus:

- handlers to send dbus signals to the
   running bash shell. it could be as simple
   as a "wall" message - "incoming call from xxx".
   I *imagine* thats just a matter of changing
   yaml files, but that would break your
   'default' phone functionality forever ? You'd
   want to temporarily disable some default
   handlers while fatfingershell is running.
   I wouldnt know how to do that.
   Perhaps Siglaunchd can help  ?
   http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Siglaunchd

- Non-keyboard handlers to reply to such signals.
   E.g. when the phone rings, you may be in the
   middle of typing some text, or maybe not using
   the keyboard at all (f.e. looking at tangogps).
   So you can't type "yes" to answer the phone;
   instead, pressing a button should answer
   or cancel the call (and perhaps switch to bash
   to start some interactive app, if you werent
   already doing something else there ...)

*for the fatfingershell c app itself:

- a separate middle layer, so the transparency
   of the middle layer doesnt affect the
   transparency of the font
   I'm afraid this depends on SDL_Terminal ..
   not sure if it can do that at all.

- a slightly bigger font size

- a way to set the terminal location/rect
   to match other keyboard layouts

- a way to use a vertical layout instead.
   that makes more sense to me, but also,
   SHR-U crashes when resuming from deep sleep
   in landscape mode, making ffshell
   unusable for now :-(

- arrows on the keyboard layout
   to use your history.