For all ya BFS (brain fuck scheduler) lovers out there

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Mon Sep 14 16:26:20 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 01:51:44PM +0400, Paul Fertser wrote:
> Thanks to LKML discussion there's an interesting switch found that
> reportedly makes CFS behave as good as BFS for typical desktop workloads.
>
> Read all the details at [1] and to try it on your devices, simply do:
>
> mkdir /debug
> mount -t debugfs none /debug
> echo NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS > /debug/sched_features
>
> It will magically solve all the problems but i hope it can improve
> experience at least somewhat.
>
> [1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=125260838709566&w=3

I will keep it on for some more time, but I must say that the effect
was immediate. This is what I did try immediately and already felt a
difference:

  1) expand panel (faster)
  2) get task list (faster)
  3) switch applications from task list (faster)
  4) switch applications from panel left and right buttons (faster)
  5) suspend (faster)
  6) resume (faster)

Of course I have no idea on the effects of power saving or how much
of these faster things don't actually suffer from some psychological
effect :)

Rui