Debian first experience made a bit easier...

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 14 19:51:20 CEST 2009

On Monday 14 September 2009, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:

> > > Cant think out a use case when same device will run a window manager
> > > (or whatever component that uses .desktop files) sometimes with fso
> > > and sometimes not ...
> >
> >    Eh? $DISPLAY can point to another device than the one running the
> > window manager and/or launcher, this setup is standard practice in the X
> > world.
>
> Sure. I use such configurations heavily myself.
>
> But doing so from a phone-like device is a very strange idea IMO. Could you
> find a useful use-case for that?

Nice as the FR screen and illume keyboard are, I sometimes wish I had a bigger
screen, or a real keyboard. Or a mouse. Navit and tangogps in particular
benefit from a bigger screen. Until recently neither were on my netbook, but a
quick bit of display forwarding took care of that. I've also used it while
developing python apps because it's more convenient to have app appear on the
screen where I'm doing the editing.