shr-contacts/messages/dialer: window size and further issues

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Wed Sep 16 11:58:01 CEST 2009

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:28:18 +0200 "arne anka" <openmoko at ginguppin.de> said:

> >> yepp. and it does not resize correetly on at least LXDE and apparently
> >> IceWM -- in my LXDE it is far from 480x600, less than a quarter (approx
> >> 80x120).
> >
> > May this be dpi-related? Could you please try with different X server dpi
> > settings?
>
> was one of the first ideas i got and tried already (with startx), but will
> try again with "normal" X startup (nodm).
> but i don't really believe it -- lxterminal frinst came up with a huge
> font compared to "normal" startup, while messages still was the same size.

it's simply that by default the window will be its minimum size given its
content unless sized to something else. illume with e will always maximize
windows (and dialogs get maximized horizontally but minimum size vertically,
centered over window). this is just the wm's policy. icewm, etc. etc. are not
implementing any "touchscreen small screen" policy. they implement a desktop
policy. you should expect this if you stick them on a smallscreen ts device
with no changes to their management policy.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com