For all ya BFS (brain fuck scheduler) lovers out there

Warren Baird wjbaird at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Sep 16 18:10:56 CEST 2009

I decided to try a semi-formal experiment...   I haven't had time to do
multiple repetitions but I figured I'd share anyways.   I'm running shr-u
updated about a week ago.   My process was that I rebooted my FR, ran
through a set of steps, at each point timing how long it took from starting
the action (clicking on the icon, eg) to when the screen was finished
redrawing.

I ran through two processes I do regularly - start GPS, start up claws mail,
and open my inbox, and then the second was to open the messages program.  I
then rebooted and did the entire process again, with the only difference
being that I started up the terminal, added 'NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS' to the
scheduler, closed the terminal, and repeated the process.   At the end of
each process I used the illume 'next window' arrow to flip through all the
open windows twice - 5 separate windows - waiting for a full redraw before
proceeding,

starting claws-mail was noticable faster - 18s vs. 23s (about 20% faster),
and opening the inbox was also faster 14s vs 18s.   Unfortunately the SHR
settings panel and SHR messages were about the same.    Swapping windows was
also a lot quicker - 15s vs. 10s.

It'd be good if we had more info - but based on this, it definitely looks
like a win to leave enabled.

Warren

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 03:26:20PM +0100, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 01:51:44PM +0400, Paul Fertser wrote:
> > > Thanks to LKML discussion there's an interesting switch found that
> > > reportedly makes CFS behave as good as BFS for typical desktop
> workloads.
> > >
> > > Read all the details at [1] and to try it on your devices, simply do:
> > >
> > > mkdir /debug
> > > mount -t debugfs none /debug
> > > echo NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS > /debug/sched_features
> > >
> > > It will magically solve all the problems but i hope it can improve
> > > experience at least somewhat.
> > >
> > > [1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=125260838709566&w=3
> >
> > I will keep it on for some more time, but I must say that the effect
> > was immediate. This is what I did try immediately and already felt a
> > difference:
> >
> >   1) expand panel (faster)
> >   2) get task list (faster)
> >   3) switch applications from task list (faster)
> >   4) switch applications from panel left and right buttons (faster)
> >   5) suspend (faster)
> >   6) resume (faster)
> >
> > Of course I have no idea on the effects of power saving or how much
> > of these faster things don't actually suffer from some psychological
> > effect :)

>    8) time between pressing 'call' and call actually being made (faster)
>
> Rui

Warren Baird - Photographer and Digital Artist
http://www.synergisticimages.ca