shr-contacts/messages/dialer: window size and further issues

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Thu Sep 17 05:39:11 CEST 2009

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 13:21:10 +0100 Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org> said:

> > > and what is the proposed fix? Use XSetWMSizeHints?
> >
> > I've never written a line using E libraries, but quick search suggests
> > evas_object_size_hint_min_set() / evas_object_size_hint_max_set()
>
> Like those are of much use when you can turn from portrait to landscape.
>
> NOT a solution!

it's not an issue if your wm is like e+illume or matchbox and maximises apps
regardless of min/max size.if its a desktop wm rotate is irrelevant here as the
wm wont go resizing the window on rotate anyway, even if it is rotatable. (or
is very unlikely to do this - move the window maybe, resize - unlikely).

you need to differentiate between a wm setting up a sane windowing policy for
such screen sizes and uses and a "desktop" wm and is policies.

i agree the apps should not be relying on the wms ignoring their hints to work
right - they should have their content packed in such a way that they are
resizable. that is the correct solution. then a nice friendly resize of the
window object to a nice size is good too (remember to get the min/max hints
first and respect them in your resize as he resize is not going to respect them)

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com