[QTMOKO] GPS pedometer app up on github

Jim Morris ml at e4net.com
Fri Sep 18 18:08:12 CEST 2009

ANT wrote:
> Hello, Jim,
>
> Thanks for the apps.
> I added QtPedometer package to QtMoko feed. Small patch was applied to the
> .desktop file to make the package installable. You can pull changes from
> [1]. This is an intermediate place between your repo and qtmoko-apps [2].
>
> As for QtopiaGPS, it would be nice if the app could start/stop required
> services by itself (which is impossible just now becouse it is needed to
> modify gpsd config file).
>
> [1] http://github.com/radekp/qtpedometer/
> [2] http://github.com/Sektor/qtmoko-apps/
>
> Regards,
> Anton

Thanks Anton,

Yea qtopiagps is more of a testing app, and requires GPSD as the Whereabouts API in Qt does not
provide satellite info. It is easy enough to start and stop gpsd from the app, but as you say out of
the box that won;t work as the configuration file needs to be modified.

One solution is for me to eliminate gpsd, and talk directly to the chip as qtpedometer does, but
that is not the right way to do it either as you can only have one gps app running.

I think the long term solution is to copy FSO, and use DBUS.

What do you think?

Thanks
Jim

--