QtMoko v11

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Sun Sep 20 16:10:25 CEST 2009

On Sunday 20 September 2009 15:11:21 -= Apertum =- wrote:
> * Ali wrote, Il 20/09/2009 14:41:
> > I wouldn't mind it gone from the distro I think it sucks. Remember
> >   qtmoko is on debian so everything in debian is available to us.
> >   apt-get install iceweasel (firefox with free graphics) but that's
> > overkill (and slow) on a phone. Try midori, I think it's a little bloated
> > for the freerunner, but it does the job. Dillo[1] is my favourite but I
> > can't seem to find it in the repos- even the old version based on gtk was
> > really fast. Dillo2 uses fltk2- it's damn fast and fairly pretty. [1]
> > Also has an opk that you may be able to extract and execute, but I
> > haven't had the chance to test it out myself.
>
> I totally agree on using other browser, with the power of Debian, we can
> use pretty everything with Apt, that's why i like a lot QtMoko! :-)
>
> However it's not a bad idea to purge out from the QtMoko base
> installation all the software that sucks like, that said,  this
> QtExtended default browser that, in fact, it's not usable for Web
> browsing (but also the QtGPSdemo... and other default QtExtended
> software pretty useless).
>
> I think it's not bad to insert as a default browser Midori or, like you
> said, Dillo, or any other Browser finger friendly, fast, usable, and
> stable. And as default software pre-installed, i think also it's pretty
> a must to insert a very good mixer (QalsaMixer) to fine tune calls volume.

  The problem with all of the suggestions above is that, great as it is that
QtMoko is now able to run any app, also those based on X, is that well... They
feel out of place. It's really nice to be able to do it, but a core feature
(such as web browser arguably is these days in a smart device like the
freerunner) really needs to be integrated. The thing is, the web browser
currently doesn't do what's needed - but that does not mean that it's
unfixable.

--
..Dan // Leinir..
http://leinir.dk/