browsing: enforce layout for mobile devices

Niels Heyvaert nielsheyvaert at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 21 10:24:03 CEST 2009

> there are many web seriveces, that offer a special compressed layout for
> mobile devices (gmx for example).
> I think they do this by reading some HTTP header fields like browser-Id or
> similair.
>
> Does anyone have experience with that? Or suggestions which browser to use
> (I currently use midori, but even midori's UI does not fit into the FR
> screen).

I believe this topic has been discussed in the recent past. Perhaps the answer to your question is already in the mailarchive (see http://lists.openmoko.org/nabble.html#nabble-td3506259).

Try opening up Midori, go to Edit> Preferences> Network> Identify as> Custom

And put in:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3

This should help.

Niels.