browsing: enforce layout for mobile devices

Adolph J. Vogel ajvogel at tuks.co.za
Mon Sep 21 10:28:20 CEST 2009

On Monday 21 September 2009 09:55:07 Alexander Lehner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there are many web seriveces, that offer a special compressed layout for
> mobile devices (gmx for example).
> I think they do this by reading some HTTP header fields like browser-Id or
> similair.
>
> Does anyone have experience with that? Or suggestions which browser to use
> (I currently use midori, but even midori's UI does not fit into the FR
> screen).
>
> Thanks,
> Alex.

Webservices do this by identifying the user agent string of the browser. The
midori version (0.1.9) I have on my desktop allows you to change this string
to something like the iphone one. And works quite well on all the mobile
versions of sites I tested. The only one that didnt work is gmail :(

Midori in the shr feeds is quite old (0.1.2), and as far as I know does not
have this functionality. Perhaps if the shr-devs could update the midori
version in the feeds...

The other alternative is Arora, a lightweight qt based browser. Which works
well on all mobile websites. It is, as far as I know, not in any distro feeds.
So someone will need to cross compile it for the freerunner...

Regards, Adolph

--
Adolph J. Vogel         BEng(Hons)