new Android Cupcake release for Freerunner

Niels Heyvaert nielsheyvaert at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 21 11:39:40 CEST 2009

Hi there,

As some of you might know, it appears that Koolu is no longer working on migrating Android to Freerunner. The community has tried to contact the Koolu people to get some sense of direction (including Jon Mad Dog Hall), but no response.

Because of the lack of direction, it was difficult to assess the risk of Koolu pulling the plug and thereby loosing the code (including community patches), mailinglist etc. The community therefore decided to start hosting the code and mailinglist. This was announced yesterday, September 20th.

On top of this, the community immediately released their first release of Android Cupcake! Version 0.1 of Android Cupcake for the Freerunner is now available for download. For those of you who've already tried Android, it is a well functioning (and pollished!) distro for your Freerunner.

Let's hope the project can keep and gain some momentum. If you wan to try and be part if it, everything is at your disposal.

I'll also try to put this in the community updates.

All details are in Jim Ancona's mail.

Niels.

Message by Jim Ancona:

--
I'm glad to announce a new Android Cupcake release for Freerunner!

It's basically a merge of the Koolu code with Michael Trimarchi's enhancements and a few bug fixes and cosmetic things I've added. You can download it at our new Google Code site: http://android-on-freerunner.googlecode.com/files/android-on-freerunner-cupcake-0.1.zip

Installation instructions are the same as for the recent Koolu betas:
- Unpack the files on to a FAT formatted SD card.
- Insert card into the Freerunner, and boot from NOR menu (hold AUX key, then power)
- Choose Boot from SD Card (FAT and ext2)
The automated install process should begin.

It installs the Qi bootloader, reboots, the kernel, reboots, then installs the system image.

*NOTE:*
This install process overwrites *everything* on the NAND inthe phone, including the bootloader. If this is not what you would like to do, please don't install this release!

We'd love to have an SDcard installer, if someone would like to contribute it. The Google Code site includes a bug tracker. We've got a couple bugs added already. Please add any others you find. The code for the release is hosted at Gitorious, because Google Code doesn't support Git. The consensus of the discussions here seemed to be that we should have our own mailing list, so I've also created one at Google Groups. The URL to join it is below

I'd really like this to become a real community project, so please help by contributing what you can. Not money, but bug reports (or even better, bug reports with patches), other code, or documentation. We have a wiki at the Google Code site. Anyone who would like to create content for it, please contact me and I'll add you to the project. I hope we can create a vibrant community around Android on Freerunner, and that you can help!

Jim Ancona

Google Code site: http://code.google.com/p/android-on-freerunner/
Git repository: http://gitorious.org/android-on-freerunner