Qi - how do I make it boot from another partition on the SD card?

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 00:09:26 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> wrote:

> Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
>
> > Is anybody at all able to get Qi to bott from several partitions on a
> > SD card?
> > If so, how?
>
> For me noboot-GTA02 file in /boot works just fine. I am using qi from
>
> https://people.openmoko.org/andy/
>
> I am using the same Qi. But - here the noboot file doesn't work :-/

> Btw you can simply boot from 3 partitions. Uboot can boot NAND, FAT
> +mmcblk0p2 and if you put noboot-GTA02 in that partition, Qi can boot
> from mmcblk0p3.

As I understand it Qi does this:
1: try to boot from 1st SD card partition
2: try to boot from 2nd SD card partition
3. try to boot from 3rd SD card partition
4. try to boot from NAND (aka built-in flash)

My SD card partition layout looks like this
p1 - vfat data partition (only data, nothing else)
p2 - ext3 primary partition, this is my main os. Currently holds QtMoko v8)
p3 - this is aother ext3 primary partition, for me to keep a backup os on.
Currently, it holds a copy of QtMoko v8.
p4 - swap, 128Megs

But - when I put a noboot-GTA02 file in /boot  on p2, Qi just stops. It
doesn't boot anything, not even the NAND.
I have to boot from NOR U-boot, select NAND and from there I mount p2 and
remove the noboot file.
(BTW, my NAND contains an old Om2008 image.)
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen