Qi - why only 3 partitions on SD card?

Warren Baird wjbaird at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Sep 23 22:28:53 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Paul Fertser <fercerpav at gmail.com> wrote:

> I really can't understand the desire to multi-boot. And btw the recent
> poll proved that most users use Qi IIRC. A clear evidence it's already
> usable for them.

here's a couple of use cases:

1  I have a working shr-u install on my phone, and want to experiment with
the shr-testing candidate - however I want the capability to revert back to
the working shr-u install if I have problems with shr-testing.   This is the
situation I'm in right now.

2. More generally - I have a working distro I like, but am curious to try
one or more of the other distros.

3. I'm a developer working on an app for the FR, and I want to make sure
that it works well on debian, SHR, and QtMoko (using QX), but only have one
FR.

In the 'bad old days', when I was experimenting with the early OM 2009 TRs,
I often had to boot back to QtEI to actually be able to make an outgoing
phone call.

I definitely think there are many valid reasons for multi-booting.

I have a slightly more interesting issue - my aux button doesn't work any
more after my daughter dropped my FR one too many times...   So my solution
for multi-boot involves renaming the appropriate boot directory on the SD
card before rebooting...   far from ideal...

Warren

--
Warren Baird - Photographer and Digital Artist
http://www.synergisticimages.ca