fatfingershell ?

Ben Wong lists.openmoko.org at wongs.net
Thu Sep 24 16:43:29 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 9:01 AM, pike <pike-openmoko at kw.nl> wrote:
> I'm not in favor of "one char commands" - i
> like the fact that the terminal would
> literally type out "call" if you type c[tab].
> This way, getting familiar with the available
> commands is really easy. Ofcourse, it implies
> there should be no other commands with a "c"
> on your path.
> [...]
> - a 3rd keyboard for special chars
>    (1 is keys, 2 is numbers, 3 is "*") -
>    I'm short on screen estate already :-)

I would like to see a third keyboard that is programmable.  That way,
I could have a "Call" key that types the word "call ".

Also, I second the request for arrow keys, though I admit the vi
bindings do have advantages and I could probably learn to live with
them.  I realize the primary fat finger shell keyboard doesn't have
room for four more keys, but I think we can get away with just one
more.

I'd be happy with a single, grand-unified-cursor button that, when
held, moves the cursor in the direction I tilt the phone (relative to
initial position).  Editing or perusing a file would be like playing
mokomaze in ASCII.  Alternately, when not pressed, the icon and action
of the single cursor button could change depending upon the absolute
tilt (left, right, up down, page up, page down, home, end) and it
would otherwise work as a normal button.

--Ben