[debian] e and illume: how to configure launcher icons?

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Thu Sep 24 18:11:54 CEST 2009

> I'm pretty sure Illume does not have support for categories or the
> ability to hide apps (especially not through a menu).
>
> Workarounds:
> If you delete the .desktop file from /usr/share/applications/, it
> won't be displayed.
> If your .desktop file doesn't contain Type=Application, I don't think
> it'll be displayed.

i remember distinctly a dialog popping up first time with a listing of
apps and a checkbox for every app, to enable it.
can't get to that dialog again.
additionally: i want to add my very own apps to the launcher -- and that
as _normal_ user.
since linux is a _multiuser_ operating system with separation of rights,
it's unreasonable to expect _normal_ users to create/modify _global_ files
(which the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications/ are).