Qi - why only 3 partitions on SD card?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 24 18:18:03 CEST 2009

On Thursday 24 September 2009, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen <
>
> ccc94453 at vip.cybercity.dk> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 11:11:04PM +0000, Niels Heyvaert wrote:
> > > The idea of having a simple GUI boot loader could be very useful...
> >
> >    We have one. It's called U-Boot. Or am I missing something?
>
> Apart for a fact that it has problem loading kernels over a certain size?

The default is 2MB, but it's a config option.

> Or that it requires the kernel on a separate partition (which must be
> fat?)? No, I don't think so.

Where did you get that idea? My kernels live in /boot on the ext3 partition
I'm booting. They can live on a separate partition, and it can read from fat,
but neither are requirements.

> But this begs the question: could U-boot be improved to deal with the
> current requirements of the users?

The two issues above could be solved by providing a more friendly
configuration tool. The slightly slower boot and resume probably can't be
changed due to the different philosophy.