OT: SIM contact limitations

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Sat Sep 26 08:43:26 CEST 2009

Am 26.09.2009 um 01:46 schrieb Brolin Empey:

> Hello list,
>
> I am marking this message as OT because it is not specific to
> Openmoko, but I thought someone here may know because I think most
> members of this list are relatively technical.
>
> Anyway, why are SIM contacts (contacts stored on a SIM) so limited?
>
> Cannot have multiple phone numbers per contact.
> Cannot change the type (home, work, mobile, etc.) of the phone number.
> Names are truncated to 18 chars.
Mainly, because SIM card entries have been standardized approx. 1992
so that you can use them in *any* phone. Back then, SIM flash memory
and computing power of a phone was *very* limited. Less than a C64 :)
It is similar to why plain old FAT memory card format is still in use
with all its limitations.

> Why do I have to store contacts in the phone instead of on the SIM
> to do anything useful?

Because you have much more memory and more flexible data formats. But
you can't simply remove the SIM and place it in a historical phone
like let's say a SIEMENS S4.