Universal Remote for CE/HA? (openmoko)

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 29 16:09:05 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 29 September 2009, Jed wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if there's any good Universal Remote software for CE &or
> HA being developed in this ecosystem?
>
> Does anyone know of anything under way or a related Linux project that
> could be re-adapted to it?
>
> I have something "roughly" like this visualised... (see attached txt file)
>
> I have an old Axim X50v which android is being ported to atm...
> But progress is slow so I may have to find a better supported device soon.
>
> Any thoughts/ideas/advice greatly appreciated!

I couldn't understand your plans from what I saw in the text file.

Since we don't have an infrared port we can't do a direct Universal Remote
app. ReMoko[1] lets the Freerunner act as a configurable bluetooth human
interface device, essentially a universal bluetooth remote. If you have a
linux box with bluetooth and a lirc transmitter you could use the combination
as a universal infrared remote.

Sriranjan has announced 'Auto home revision 1.1' on this list recently[2].

Most HA projects have a web interface which you could use, probably without
modification as they often have themes for small screens such as the iPhone or
n800. If they have a native linux client then that may run with a simple
recompile, or with a little porting. Java clients are another option.

[1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/ReMoko
[2] http://n2.nabble.com/Auto-home-revision-1-1-td3698124.html