Universal Remote for CE/HA? (openmoko)

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 29 19:29:48 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 29 September 2009, Jed wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I was wondering if there's any good Universal Remote software for CE &or
> >> HA being developed in this ecosystem?
> >>
> >> Does anyone know of anything under way or a related Linux project that
> >> could be re-adapted to it?
> >>
> >> I have something "roughly" like this visualised... (see attached txt
> >> file)
> >>
> >> I have an old Axim X50v which android is being ported to atm...
> >> But progress is slow so I may have to find a better supported device
> >> soon.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts/ideas/advice greatly appreciated!
> >
> > I couldn't understand your plans from what I saw in the text file.
>
> What didn't you get?

I saw:
***************
find out if our aircon network can also be used as a gigabit LAN.

griffin total remote
AMD Radeon HD 58xxx (mid range)

UR OEM's
urc
phillips
nevo
rti

creston
control4

http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx
Manager_TMSS at asustek.com.cn
***************
It's a list of things bits with no indication of how they may be connected.
It's probably one of these things that's obvious when you understand it, and
totally opaque when you don't ;-)

> > Since we don't have an infrared port we can't do a direct Universal
> > Remote app.
>
> IR directly from a hand-held isn't imperative, I don't see any real loss
> in not having do you?

Can't control the TV or whatever without the HTPC being powered up. Many would
see that as core functionality in a universal remote. If you don't then the
Freerunner may be what you're looking for.

> > ReMoko[1] lets the Freerunner act as a configurable bluetooth human
> > interface device, essentially a universal bluetooth remote. If you have a
> > linux box with bluetooth and a lirc transmitter you could use the
> > combination as a universal infrared remote.
>
> How would BT be better than using Wifi as the medium to the controller
> PC? Do none of the openmoko hardware devices have wifi integrated?

It was just a suggestion as to how you could get infrared functionality with
an existing BT remote app. There's no reason not to use WiFi if it suits you
better - the Freerunner has both. BT uses less power, especially if your WiFi
access point doesn't support the power saving mode. WiFi is faster and has
longer range.

> > Most HA projects have a web interface which you could use, probably
> > without modification as they often have themes for small screens such as
> > the iPhone or n800. If they have a native linux client then that may run
> > with a simple recompile, or with a little porting. Java clients are
> > another option.
> >
> > [1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/ReMoko
> > [2] http://n2.nabble.com/Auto-home-revision-1-1-td3698124.html
>
> Awesome thanks, I'll look into it!
> I've also come across this and am quite impressed thus far!
> http://openremote.org/display/orb/Boss+Overview

Last time I looked many of the features turned out to be intended but not
implemented, but that may have changed by now. You might also like to check
out LinuxMCE, PlutoHome, MisterHouse and Minerva.