Looking to pick up a FreeRunner

Warren Baird wjbaird at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Apr 8 20:10:52 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 6:02 PM, swoody <swoody at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I am in a bit of a predicament with my current, closed (bleh!) cell phone.
> The screen stopped working, and incoming and outgoing calls have ceased as
> well. I tried to have it replaced through my cellular carrier, but they are
> trying to blame it on me saying that it must be abuse to the phone - with
> the condition the phone is in physically, this is obviously not the case. So
> I am rather ticked off with them. The good news is that this is a great
> opportunity for me to finally make the jump to a *free* phone.

Hey Woody,

Just a word of warning - the FR is a very fun device to play with -
but if you expect it to be a fully functioning phone, you will
probably be disappointed.   I tried to use it as my cell phone for a
long time, and found it *very* frustating - regularly missed calls and
had to reboot it because it had hung.

I've been using an N900 for a couple of months now, and am very happy
with it - isn't quite as open as the FR, but it is open *enough* for
me, and it *works*...    Of course if laying out $200 for an FR is a
problem, then the N900 is probably out of reach...

Good luck.

Warren

--
Warren Baird - Photographer and Digital Artist
http://www.synergisticimages.ca