Looking to pick up a FreeRunner

Warren Baird wjbaird at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Apr 9 18:14:22 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Brolin Empey <brolin at brolin.be> wrote:

> Which distro were you using?  I recommend QtMoko because it is the best
> and only usable distro I have found.  Make sure you use QtMoko v19 or
> higher, though, because earlier versions miss some incoming SMS
> messages, including notifications of new voice mail, until QtEI is
> restarted.  I do not recommend QtMoko v18, even though it is newer than
> v19, because v18’s 2.6.32 kernel lacks support for both RNDIS and USB
> mode changing.

I was using SHR the most before I gave up.   I never tried QtMoko - I
had used QtEI for a while, but found it frustrating because most of
the interesting software for the FR didn't work on it, although I
understand they've fixed that in QtMoko.  It was probably about as
stable a phone as SHR was.

> The N900 lacks USB Host support at the hardware level.  I guess this
> does not matter to you, but I might miss it because I have used USB Host
> multiple times on my FR.

Yeah, I'd never used host support on my FR, so that didn't matter to me much.

Warren

--
Warren Baird - Photographer and Digital Artist
http://www.synergisticimages.ca