project customers

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Sat Apr 10 09:56:31 CEST 2010

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> We also had many discussions with project customers and basically they
> were happy with the device. And would prefer it over any consumer
> oriented device.

Are there actually any stories of project customers whose project
made it past the R&D stage and who deployed a reasonably large
number of devices, let's say >= 100 ?

I'm not aware of any, and that's bothering me a little, for it
weakens my theory that project customers (I haven't heard this
expression before Christoph used it, but I like it very much)
would be a major market for an Open phone.

It could be that the combination of long-lived problems and a
short-lived product or series just left no window for this to
happen.

- Werner