can you help collect package popularity data?

Tim Abell tim at timwise.co.uk
Sun Apr 11 00:36:24 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I think it would be good for the community to have some idea of the
install base for applications. So I wrote a very quick and dirty way for
people to submit their installed package list.

Try it with the following (will clobber anything called pop in /usr/bin):

wget http://www.timwise.co.uk/om/pop/pop.tar.gz
tar -C / pop.tar.gz

then submit your package list with

/usr/bin/pop

You can view submissions at
http://www.timwise.co.uk/om/pop/submissions/

I've not done any work on analysis yet.

The code is at http://github.com/timabell/popularity
improvements would be welcome, as would inclusion in the various distros.
Perhaps if it works out this could be hosted by the various distro servers.

see also http://popcon.debian.org/

Yours

Tim Abell