can you help collect package popularity data?

Tim Abell tim at
Sun Apr 11 00:36:24 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I think it would be good for the community to have some idea of the
install base for applications. So I wrote a very quick and dirty way for
people to submit their installed package list.

Try it with the following (will clobber anything called pop in /usr/bin):

tar -C / pop.tar.gz

then submit your package list with

You can view submissions at

I've not done any work on analysis yet.

The code is at
improvements would be welcome, as would inclusion in the various distros.
Perhaps if it works out this could be hosted by the various distro servers.

see also

Tim Abell