Where is the tangoGPS community?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Sun Apr 11 00:56:38 CEST 2010

Timo Juhani Lindfors <timo.lindfors at iki.fi> writes:
> Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin at geekspace.com> writes:
> >
> > However: I'd like to know where the *developer* community is for tangoGPS--
> > and please don't take that the wrong way, there's nothing backhanded
> > in that remark; really, I'm interested in developing tangoGPS, and
> > communicating and collaborating with other likeminded people.
> > I have a set of patches, already--what should I do with them?
>
> I keep my patches in http://iki.fi/lindi/git/tangogps.git/

Do you know where I can find an official upstream git (or other VC)
repository, then? I haven't been able to figure out where Marcus' is,
or if he even has one--there's no mention of any version-control
repositories on the tangogps.org web-site, as far as I can tell,
and I haven't been able to elicit VC information from Marcus.

It would be really nice if we could all have a common frame of reference
for our development, so that we could easily merge changes from each other.

I've been using Bazaar, and have initialised my own repository from
a release tarball, which kind-of stinks. It looks like there are
actually some things missing from the tarballs, which stinks more :(

> Currently I only have a set of patches that add support for libgps.

I have a patch that makes it possible to scale the details on maps
(e.g.: text, icons, line-widths) and change the amount of detail shown
without zooming the map; and another patch that adds VisualIDs
<http://scribblethink.org/Work/VisualIDs/visualids.html> for POIs.

> > Is there an IRC channel?
>
> There is #tangogps which is of course completely unofficial :-)

Indeed--I've spent some time there. Actually, I got the impression
that I was the only person there actually hacking on tangoGPS
(in which case, shouldn't it actually be called "##tangogps"...?).

Also, if I understand correctly, Marcus is somewhat hostile toward
that channel--certainly he doesn't use it himself; and it seems
at least somewhat strange to be building a community around something
that the upstream maintainer has himself deprecated.

So, I was wondering if--even hoping that--there was some other
venue that was preferred by upstream; if #tangogps is *competing*
with some `more official' venue, then it seems kind-of lousy
to fracture the community like that.