Where is the tangoGPS community?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Sun Apr 11 05:06:48 CEST 2010

Timo Juhani Lindfors <timo.lindfors at iki.fi> writes:

> Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin at geekspace.com> writes:
> > Do you know where I can find an official upstream git (or other VC)
> > repository, then? I haven't been able to figure out where Marcus' is,
>
> There's no such thing available publicly afaik.
>
> > I've been using Bazaar, and have initialised my own repository from
> > a release tarball, which kind-of stinks. It looks like there are
> > actually some things missing from the tarballs, which stinks more :(
>
> I branched my libgps branch from git.debian.org git tree that has all
> the tarballs and debian changes in different branches. Using a
> different version control system didn't sound like a good idea so I
> stayed with git.
>

> > > Currently I only have a set of patches that add support for libgps.
> >
> > I have a patch that makes it possible to scale the details on maps
> > (e.g.: text, icons, line-widths) and change the amount of detail shown
> > without zooming the map; and another patch that adds VisualIDs
> > <http://scribblethink.org/Work/VisualIDs/visualids.html> for POIs.
>
> How can it do that?

I'm very clever. :)

> I thought tangogps only shows bitmap data?

That's correct. The trick is that, since the pre-rendered tile-images
are rendered such that line-widths, text-size, icon-size, etc. are all
constant across `zoom' levels when displayed at a consistent pixel-
density..., I can basically just select a `more zoomed-out' set of
tiles, and scale them up by the same (but inverse) amount before
displaying them.

So, when you select `fewer, bigger details', the code just decreases
*pixel-density* and a `zoom-level offset' adjusted accordingly.
The map remains at the same zoom-level; but the text and icons get
bigger, the streets and other lines get wider; the amount of
visual `clutter' decreases, and information-clarity goes up.

If you select `more, smaller details', the pixel-density is increased
and the zoom-offset adjusted in the other direction. Again, the map
remains at the same zoom-level; but the text and icons get smaller,
the streets and other lines become thinner; the amount of information
visible at a given zoom-level (the information-density) increases.

I posted a copy of this patch to this list and CC'd Marcus
(not knowing what else to do with it), back in November,
in Message-ID <87vdhtaral.fsf%40slice.rozzin.com>:

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openmoko.community/52188

I haven't bothered posting the VisualIDs patch anywhere yet--
just a write-up, along with some screenshots, on my weblog.
But I can post that code, too, if anyone's interested in it.

I don't know--maybe we should post these things to Risto's `foss-gps'
mail list :)

Just *somewhere* where they don't get lost in the cacophony....

> > Also, if I understand correctly, Marcus is somewhat hostile toward
> > that channel--certainly he doesn't use it himself; and it seems at
> > least somewhat strange to be building a community around something
> > that the upstream maintainer has himself deprecated.
> >
> > So, I was wondering if--even hoping that--there was some other
> > venue that was preferred by upstream; if #tangogps is *competing*
> > with some `more official' venue, then it seems kind-of lousy
> > to fracture the community like that.
>
> I have never heard of any other IRC channel.

Well, I guess I'll see you on #tangogps until we hear otherwise.

-rozzin.