qualitiy is important for tangoGPS

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 19:42:23 CEST 2010

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 16:29:15 +0200
Sander van Grieken <sander at 3v8.net> wrote:
> No. Just email your patches to Marcus Bauer. Expect no reply nor use
> of patches.
>
> But, you don't have the right to complain. You have the right to
> fork, though.

Well, looks like you are a bit upset that your patch was not accepted
but quality is important for the longterm success of tangoGPS.

Criteria for software quality are (amongst others):

 * correctness (i.e. bug free)
 * maintainability
 * robustness

Your patch about speed-up is very invasive in core parts of
tangoGPS, was not well documented, not minimalistic and introduced
several bugs. In general it falls in the category of premature
optimisation which will cause enhancements like other map datums as
WGS84 or other projections as Merkatoor significantly more difficult
and error prone.

There is plenty of documentation about how to contribute to open source
projects and my advice is to check that first.

Another idea is to start your own project - look at the various
appstores, there a plenty of great ideas.

As you already stated, tangoGPS is GPL'd, thus certainly if a packager
of SHR or any other distribution wants to include your patch, that is
certainly possible, no problem there.

Best regards,
Marcus