tangoGPS magnify patch

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 20:05:04 CEST 2010

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 23:06:48 -0400
Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin at geekspace.com> wrote:

> > > I have a patch that makes it possible to scale the details on maps
> > > (e.g.: text, icons, line-widths) and change the amount of detail
> > > shown without zooming the map;
> >

> So, when you select `fewer, bigger details', the code just decreases
> *pixel-density* and a `zoom-level offset' adjusted accordingly.
> The map remains at the same zoom-level; but the text and icons get
> bigger, the streets and other lines get wider; the amount of
> visual `clutter' decreases, and information-clarity goes up.
>
> If you select `more, smaller details', the pixel-density is increased
> and the zoom-offset adjusted in the other direction. Again, the map
> remains at the same zoom-level; but the text and icons get smaller,
> the streets and other lines become thinner; the amount of information
> visible at a given zoom-level (the information-density) increases.

This patch is potentially interesting on the Freerunner due to the 3x
higher dpi of the screen. The patch makes future extensions for layers,
non-merkatoor and no wgs84 more error prone and therefore currently is
not suitable for tangoGPS. However, you can ask the packagers of SHR
etc. if they are interested in inclusion.

Marcus