tangoGPS community development, patches (was: tangoGPS magnify patch)

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 16:53:59 CEST 2010

2010/4/12 Marcus Bauer <marcus.bauer at gmail.com>:
> Essentially it is the constant threads about forks that have been
> started and fuelled over and over again by Risto that keep me having
> always a few aces in my sleeve and restricting access to people who I
> have confidence that they keep the project over their ego.

I don't know what egos you are discussing (I haven't followed previous
TangoGPS discussions that closely). You can restrict any access even
if you allow read-only following of the development version source
control. It's essential for any open source development project with
more than one person interested in developing it. The fear of forks is
probably simply because currently there is no way to really have a
development project where others than one person can eventually affect
the future of the project. E-mail patches without return channel or
follow-up possibility does not really work.

Anyway, I personally wouldn't want a fork, if it can be avoided. The
developer community, if there is more than one person, just completely
needs developer tools like version control and mailing lists, which
are currently not available for this project, and have been in absence
even despite months of silence on the front (so no shutting up of
anyone needed). I was thinking about a system where latest source code
is imported and patches can be tracked, which are applied, which are
pending review, which are rejected etc.

-Timo