project customers

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Mon Apr 12 21:52:03 CEST 2010

Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> too late for that. the others are in on the game. and now being "open enough"
> is all that's needed. window of opportunity for om and the likes has closed -
> or at the best is very close to closed.

I think the advantage is still there, it's just harder to communicate.
Also in this regard, Open Design Hardware helps: you still don't get
anything like this from the now "open" players.

And from what I've heard and keep on hearing, there are lots of project
customers who want to modify the hardware. They often also have the
engineering resources to perform their changes. But also doing the rest
of the phone would be too much for them.

The "Open phones" would be sort of a reference designs created by the
Open hardware development process, but not the one and only results.

> depends on who is buying the units to make it scale - if it's a telco, chances
> are they want it far from being open - that includes the hw design. chaning
> that doesn't come from a small company like om screaming.

A small telco may be happy enough to finally be able to brand their
products, too. I wouldn't try to deal with large telcos for now.
Don't sleep with a girl who eats more than your own weight for
breakfast :-)

- Werner