how to contribute to open source projects

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 23:55:31 CEST 2010

Hello Rui,

you certainly know that I value your opinion a lot.

Just the other day there was a storm going on about a remark of Scott
James Remnant from Ubuntu who is an outstanding developer, very much
committed to advancing Ubuntu. People who have never done any
contribution flooded the bugzilla and flamed him.

Foul behaviour needs to be sanctioned, otherwise it ruins the whole
basket of apples. User experience is key.

Actually I have received several supportive emails today from people
that have similar amounts (or more) of Google hits in connection with
Openmoko than I do have. As wrong as it is to go for weeks to argue
with these people it is to let it go through without response.

There were at least three other projects in the last four years with a
similar scope than tangoGPS. Where were the people complaining about
not being able to participate in the development of tangoGPS when those
projects were open for participation, where are their contributions?

Foul play needs to be clearly identified and pointed out. I rather
doubt that those people have got plenty of invitations today to join
other projects but I'd be happy if that would be the case.

I don't know what your current main project is, but feel free to invite
them. Let me know in 4 years if they are still actively contributing
and I'll cover myself in ashes :-)

Have fun with them and please take them away from me and thousands
of happy tangoGPS users and integrate them in your projets :p

Marcus