project customers

Bernd Prünster bernd.pruenster at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 04:43:13 CEST 2010

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 02:18:45 +0200 Bernd Prünster <bernd.pruenster at gmail.com>
> said:
>

>> ever heard of the touchbook?!
>>

> or joojoo... or one of the 1894 "mee too" ipad clones coming out (varying from
> arm based to x86 based). there is no room for a freerunner core based pad... -
> pushing that many pixels means more grunt. the gta02 already couldnt handle
> what it had. by a large margin. just buy one of these me-too pads and fidddle
> with it. hell if "tangogps" is the killer app - does an open os matter? as long
> as you can compile it and install it (toouchbook is there already for that -
> and it's open. not the schematics - though if you look carefully its actually a
> slightly modified beagleboard - so design is open actually), and os is open.
> the other me-too's on x86 will be pretty much just as open as any other
> netbook (give or take) - and yes. we know. imgtec, sgx, closed gpu. that's the
> case everywhere. no news there and no solution to is unless you design your own
> gpu... good luck. :))

+1
the beagleboard (omap3550) has quite a nice amount of horsepower, it can
to 720p, has nice dsp which is quite well supported, and the folks at ai
and the community around the touchbook are playing around to get
accelerated composing working thanks to opengl ES an thanks to the wokr
nokia did on the n900 (omap3550 again if i'm right).
apart from that casual computing, littel surfing a little office work
and thanks to powerVR you can also watch videos quite nicely thanks to
mplayer hardware accel, but the system still hat beta quality, so i can
just hope they iron the remaining bugs out in time. i'm not paid to
write that, i just think this might be an interesting device for
freerunner users...

please correct me if i wrote too much junk - it is 4,40 am here