community Digest, Vol 179, Issue 23

Vinzenz Hersche hersche at puzzle.ch
Mon Apr 19 15:46:02 CEST 2010

first, there is iE the iphone, which could run a open linux, so they had to
create drivers for it (what could make it possible for the ipad? may because
of similiar hw?)

second, apple's devices are based on freebsd - then maybe it's just necessary
to change the interface. linux-sw works normaly without great problems on
bsd..

of course, at least the second reason isn't fully opensource (because of the
drivers) and i don't know if it's possible this way.

just my ideas (in my very overtired head :) )
Alfa21 schrieb am Samstag 17 April 2010:
2010-04-17 at 10:28 Rui Miguel Silva Seabra

> Won't work. One word why: drivers.
>
> You'll always produce a sub-standard alternative to the official OS that
> comes with the device.
>
> Rui

yeah...and producers of closed hw like apple can (and they will do) change the
firmware or some chip without notice (keeping the final product nearly the same)
and you are out because those changes are not (at least fully) documented.
you (we) can only guess what was affected between revisions but it's impossible
to get the full scenario of the changes.