Get GPS working...

Toby D. Young tyoung at ippt.gov.pl
Tue Apr 20 19:28:52 CEST 2010

Hello.

I've had the neo freefrunner gta-02 a few weeks.
After browsing through a few distributions, qtmoko became my choice. I
think this distribution is really great! I flashed the kernel and rootfs
with
uImage-v21.bin
and
qtmoko-debian-v21.jffs2
respectively and all seems ok, maybe better than ok   :-)

Only one irksome thing that is turning me away from qtmoko...

I can not for the life of me get GPS to work using NeronGPS.
I took the following steps after flashing:

(1) apt-get gpsd (this starts on booting after a little play with the
config for gpsd).
neo:~# /etc/init.d/gpsd restart
Stopping GPS (Global Positioning System) daemon: gpsd.
Starting GPS (Global Positioning System) daemon: gpsd.
neo:~#

(2) Fire up NeronGPS....

What happens, is that NeronGPS runs, I can download maps from OM_map, for
example. What never hapens is getting a fix. My phone is permanently stuck
with the message "Wait for fix". Have I missed something obvious here?

In short: Is there a sure-fire way of getting GPS up-and-running?

Best,
	Toby

-----

www:   http://www.ippt.gov.pl/~tyoung