community Digest, Vol 180, Issue 6

Florian Franzmann siflfran at hawo.stw.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Apr 21 10:07:43 CEST 2010

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 00:36:04 +0200
community-request at lists.openmoko.org wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I've had the neo freefrunner gta-02 a few weeks.
> After browsing through a few distributions, qtmoko became my choice. I
> think this distribution is really great! I flashed the kernel and
> rootfs with
> uImage-v21.bin
> and
> qtmoko-debian-v21.jffs2
> respectively and all seems ok, maybe better than ok   :-)
>
> Only one irksome thing that is turning me away from qtmoko...
>
> I can not for the life of me get GPS to work using NeronGPS.
> I took the following steps after flashing:
>
> (1) apt-get gpsd (this starts on booting after a little play with the
> config for gpsd).
> neo:~# /etc/init.d/gpsd restart
> Stopping GPS (Global Positioning System) daemon: gpsd.
> Starting GPS (Global Positioning System) daemon: gpsd.
> neo:~#
>
> (2) Fire up NeronGPS....
>
> What happens, is that NeronGPS runs, I can download maps from OM_map,
> for example. What never hapens is getting a fix. My phone is
> permanently stuck with the message "Wait for fix". Have I missed
> something obvious here?
This is a bug in v21. The sysfs node that turns on power to the gps
device has changed. It's now
/sys/devices/platform/s3c2440-i2c/i2c-adapter/i2c-0/0-0073/pcf50633-regltr.7/neo1973-pm-gps.0/power_on

If you change /opt/qtmoko/bin/gps-poweron.sh
and /opt/qtmoko/bin/gps-poweroff.sh to reflect this change it will work.

regards
Florian