/ GTA02 kernel sources?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at
Thu Apr 22 07:59:27 CEST 2010

I tried to fetch the latest kernel sources from;a=summary
  for learning something, but it appears that the server has some

iMac:tmp hns$ git clone git:// linux-2.6
Initialized empty Git repository in /private/tmp/linux-2.6/.git/
remote: fatal: Out of memory, realloc failed
remote: aborting due to possible repository corruption on the remote
fatal: early EOF
fatal: index-pack failed
iMac:tmp hns$

So my main question is where I can get recent enough kernel sources

That also raises more general questions:
* who (person, company) is responsible for
* even more general: who is responsible for
* if nobody, how can we protect that it suddenly completely disappears
because some room manager unplugs the power cord or nobody pays the
annual fee for the domain registration?