GameRunner distribution

Rafael Ignacio Zurita rizurita at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 21:22:32 CEST 2010

Hi,

--- On Thu, 4/29/10, Sebastian Krzyszkowiak <dos at dosowisko.net> wrote:
> On 4/29/10, Rafael Ignacio Zurita <rizurita at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >   GameRunner is an Openmoko Linux
[snip]
> "GameRunner is based on Linux
> Image-gta02-g291a9d50_mwester-stable.bin
> kernel and Om2008.9-gta02-20081117.rootfs. XGlamo is
> providing X."
>
> OMG, it's sooo old! I think you can make it a LOT faster by using
> newer kernel (for instance, andy-tracking HEAD), and maybe X.org
> instead of Xglamo (but with this one i'm not sure if it will give
> performance boost, but I believe it will :P)

We have tested several alternatives.

Check the boot speed, check the games speed, and then
tell us which option is better :)

Anyway, another reason is that many games were modified
for that kernel API as well. I am not sure if you can play
Doom using current kernel; and I see a little anarchy as well with
current kernel + X/Xfbdev/Xglamo/xorg + xrandr + /etc/fb.modes +
rotation + screen sizes, etc.

But again, the base system is not important. We checked the
alternatives and we decided that base system. It is okey
for all the sdl+allegro games, and we are not going to
maintain a base system. We just need more games :)

Regards.

--
Rafael Ignacio Zurita