Create personal Maps for tangogps or similar

omcomali.rhn at omcomali.rhn at
Thu Aug 5 12:13:56 CEST 2010

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 11:16:31 +0200
Kevin Zuber <openmoko at> wrote:

> Dear Openmoko Community,
> I want to create some personal maps for viewing on the freerunner GPS
> application (like tangogps).
> All available maps (open streetmap and google maps etc.) does not meet
> my demands, so I want to create one myself.
> The map I need shows the depth of a lake. (In Germany it's called a
> "Tiefenkarte" - "depth map")
> An example can be found here:
> or
> After looking at the map cache of tangogps, I assume that I need to
> create a picture of the map and then split this pictures into smaller
> ones (.png) and put them into numbered directories in connection with
> the GPS coordinates. I need to do this for different zoom levels.
> I'm very happy about _every_ hint how I can get this done most easily.
> I guess that doing all that manual it would need a very long time.
> Thank you very much.
> Kev
I can help you with the splitting part. A few weeks ago I wrote a script to render OSM data to svg, convert it to png and split the files into directories. It renders a specific subset of OSM data, but it can be used to split PNG images.

You would probably be interested in the most basic version which contains only files I made or moified [1], but if you want to see the whole thing running, check out the version with external tools in it [2].

There's a small readme in it, but I'll be happy to help if it's not enough.