When is the next and more powerful openmoko releasing

Hans Zimmerman hans at everlasting.be
Fri Aug 13 12:45:24 CEST 2010

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:22:02 +0200, "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
<hns at computer.org> wrote:
> Am 12.08.2010 um 14:12 schrieb RANJAN:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> When is the next and more powerful openmoko (capable of seamless 3D
>> video and faster processor) is going to be released???
>
> Assume, you could get a motherboard upgrade board that fits into the
> Freerunner (or Neo1973) case. Based on the TI OMAP3 SoC (OMAP3530 or
> DM3730) and UMTS.
>
> Let me ask two questions to everybody:
> * How long could you be willing to wait for it to really become
available?

9 months, maximum 1.5 years. I don't think it will be dependent on the
life of my freerunner, it will rather be dependent on the capability of
living with the frustrations of the freerunner. There might be a moment I
say, I'm tired of waiting for a great user experience on a open smartphone.
Even though I like the great efforts of the community, we are still far
from having a great user experience. (I bet there is greater developer
experience then a user experience).
Sometimes, the basic Nokia I received with some office supplies order is
better for calling my bad hearing grand mother... .

> * How much would you think you could afford to pay for such a board?

If it is a true open smartphone, more then what I paid the freerunner but
I guess it certainly maxes out at 500euro's. Of course one should compare
the features as well, will it have futuristic technology or technology of
yesterday?
I do would check deeper whether there is any NDA for whatever component
which would limit open development. In that regard, I do not consider the
freerunner a open phone and it is very likely I would never have bought one
knowing there is a NDA limitation... .

Money is not everything, ideals are?

Hans