Mail Wrapping

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Sat Aug 14 08:34:51 CEST 2010

Am 13.08.2010 um 22:35 schrieb steve:

> Le 13-08-2010, à 19:45:51 +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller (hns at computer.org) a écrit :
>
>> such a thing is quite unlikely to expect from any large phone manufacturer. Even if they open up an existing design. They ususally squeeze every bit out of the design to reduce manufacturing cost and may have very special test procedures. And they may change internals every now and then to improve their production process. I.e. you may get version B4 this week and someone else version C7 in two weeks with differences in the not-documented area.
>
> Nikolaus, couldn't you wrap your lines to something more standard (72 or
> so ?) Thanks, I like reading your prose, but those long lines are really
> irritating.

Hi Steve,

there are different opinions if the 80 char line wrapping of mail is standard or some
old-fashioned relict from the 80ies. I have tried to find out what it is but it appears
to be a problem with some MUAs not correctly handling RFC 2646.

Here is also some discussion about mailman being responsible or not:

http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg49755.html

which says:

The problem is that prior to Mailman 2.1.10, the format=flowed and
delsp=yes parameters were not preserved in the outgoing message.

I think the OM list uses version 2.1.9  so it could be a bug.

I don't know if my mail client uses these paramters - but it does not have
an option to do line wrapping when sending.

So, wouldn't it be simpler if you reduce the width of your display window?
Your client should then wrap long lines.

BR,
Nikolaus

PS: I have tried to format this mail manually, but it is quite a pain...