Mail Wrapping

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 09:09:58 CEST 2010

"Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at computer.org> writes:
> Am 13.08.2010 um 22:35 schrieb steve:
>> Nikolaus, couldn't you wrap your lines to something more standard (72 or
>> so ?) Thanks, I like reading your prose, but those long lines are really
>> irritating.
>
> there are different opinions if the 80 char line wrapping of mail is standard or some
> old-fashioned relict from the 80ies. I have tried to find out what it is but it appears
> to be a problem with some MUAs not correctly handling RFC 2646.

Well, i can't really see how format=flowed can make any sense, even
nowadays. I think all sane MUAs go without it by default, and for a
reason: it messes with formatting which is important when you're
sending snippets of code, patches, logs etc.

Probably it's the right time for you to stop following the rules set
by Apple and to start using a better MUA? ;)

> So, wouldn't it be simpler if you reduce the width of your display window?
> Your client should then wrap long lines.

That's not exactly a good option for those of us using tiling window
managers, sorry.

Good luck and happy hacking :)
mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com