Mail Wrapping

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sat Aug 14 09:28:43 CEST 2010

El día Saturday, August 14, 2010 a las 08:34:51AM +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller escribió:

> > Nikolaus, couldn't you wrap your lines to something more standard (72 or
> > so ?) Thanks, I like reading your prose, but those long lines are really
> > irritating.
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> there are different opinions if the 80 char line wrapping of mail is standard or some
> old-fashioned relict from the 80ies. I have tried to find out what it is but it appears
> to be a problem with some MUAs not correctly handling RFC 2646.
>
> Here is also some discussion about mailman being responsible or not:

Hi Nikolaus,

It is the responsibility of your MailUserAgent to wrap lines correctly
around column 72. You are using Apple Mail (2.1081). If this can not do
this, just use another MUA or another system providing correct software.

I'm using Mutt as MUA which in turn can use any editor when writing the
body of the mail. I've set the editor to vim with some magic flags:

set editor="vim \'+set textwidth=72\' \'+syntax match WarningMsg /\\%>70v.*/\' -i NONE"

this puts any char from position 70 in red color and wraps the line if
my typing hits positin 72, but breaks it at the last blank before, i.e.
does not break a word into two pieces.

Just as a hint

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211