Mail Wrapping

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Aug 14 17:05:55 CEST 2010

Am 14.08.2010 um 15:55 schrieb Matthias Apitz:

> El día Saturday, August 14, 2010 a las 03:41:06PM +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller escribió:
>
>> If somebody can point me to the RFC that *requires* that lines must
>> be *visibly* wrapped by the sender so that no client ever shows
>> long lines, I am happy to file a bug report for Apple Mail (wouldn't
>> be the first one :).
>>
>> If there is no such RFC, please report bugs for your clients that
>> don't wrap long (MIME encoded) lines they receive to the width of
>> the display window.
>
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
>
> 2.1 User Guidelines
>
> 2.1.1 For mail:
> - Limit line length to fewer than 65 characters and end a line
>  with a carriage return.

Ok. But:

> October 1995
>
> Status of This Memo
>
>    This memo provides information for the Internet community.  This memo
>    does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of
>    this memo is unlimited.
>
> Abstract
>
>    This document provides a minimum set of guidelines for Network
>    Etiquette (Netiquette) which organizations may take and adapt for
>    their own use.

I.e. I would not take it as a *requirement* and it is also quite old to stick to it.
It appears to be stimulated by times where 50% of the Internet users did
use a VGA screen and 95% dial-up modems. People did not have many
WYSIWYG systems as mail clients. Most mail clients were VT100 compatible.

So I fear I can't convince Apple with this (it does not even convince me...).

The only solution is, that I promise to try to press the return key every now and then (unless I forget)...

BR,
Nikolaus