Mail Wrapping

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Aug 16 09:58:50 CEST 2010

Summary answer...

Am 15.08.2010 um 00:58 schrieb steve:

>> Hi Steve,
>
> Hi Niklaus (not in Zürich toniht?)

What important event is (was) there tonight?

> Anyway, may studies have shown that the reader begins to be less
> concentrated when lines exceed 80 caracters, that's *my* main point.

I completely agree with that. Newspapers come in columns. Since they
were invented 200 years ago. For good reasons.

But I did not expect that any mail reader could have such a problem formatting
long lines to read in small columns. IMHO any modern mail viewer should be
able to do that.

> Bad MUA, change MUA (mutt maybe?)

I have checked what mutt is and I am impressed what can be done with the
VT100 methaphor. But it looks as recommending to replace a Porsche by a
refurbished truck because it is more flexible...

One thing made me wonder. Did you correctly use all mutt settings? I have
e.g. found:

> 3.238. smart_wrap
>
> Type: boolean
> Default: yes
>
> Controls the display of lines longer than the screen width in the internal pager. If set, long lines are wrapped at a word boundary. If unset, lines are simply wrapped at the screen edge. Also see the $markers variable.

If I understand that correctly (I have never used or configured mutt), it
is just a matter of correct settings on the receiver's side and the 'reader'
component.

But let's stop this discussion which is quite philosophical/fundamental
(in several aspects) since we have found a simple solution after knowing
the problem.

BR,
Nikolaus