QtMoko v25 - experimental with 2.6.34 kernel

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Tue Aug 17 13:02:34 CEST 2010

Hi,
i have released experimental qtmoko image with 2.6.34 kernel based on debian
testing (squeeze). You can download tarbal from here [1]. There are no JFFS2
images for this release.

This version is not for daily use. I plan to release stable release short
after. Here is my list of problems:

- too high current in suspend (~20mA). Your battery will discharge sooner.
- no vibrator
- no touchscreen filtering - you see jitter e.g. in scribble drawing program
- no bluetooth (qtmoko needs bluez4 support)

On the other hand here is list of what is good:

- devtmpfs & upstart make it boot faster (90s on slow class 2 SD card)
- more packages thanks to newer debian (e.g. mencoder)
- no WS when switching vga->qvga
- more drivers - i saw something like combined usb network+usb mass storage

If you want to build yourself:

- kernel with config is here [2]
- /etc/init.d/qpe.sh needs modifications to be upstart compatible
- /etc/init.d/qpe.sh must create device nodes that devtmpfs does not create:

mknod /dev/ttySAC0 c 204 64 -m 660
mknod /dev/ttySAC1 c 204 65 -m 660
mknod /dev/ttySAC2 c 204 66 -m 660

- disable udev and enable qpe.sh:

update-rc.d qpe.sh defaults
update-rc.d -f udev-mtab remove
update-rc.d -f udev remove

- /usr/share/udhcpc/default.script needs to be launched with bash (dash does
not like the syntax for adding route)

- i need 3s rootdelay in /boot/append-GTA02

I hope some kernel developer will be successful with high power consumtion bug
[3]. I have spent quite some time to find out where is problem, but without
success. I think it's not problem of modem power management, because i have
ported modem power management from 2.6.29 kernel and nothing changed. I have
also tried to disable as many drivers as possible. I have tried booting with
qi and with uboot from both SD card and NAND, but nothing helped.

If this bug is not fixed, it IMO makes no sence to switch to 2.6.32 or higher
kernels.

Happy playing with this experimental release, thanks for feedback and stay
tuned for next stable release with bluetooth headset support, AGPS, youtube
videos and other cool features.

Regards

Radek

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/experimental/qtmoko-debian-