[SHR] toolchain (again)

W. B. Kranendonk wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 20 01:04:55 CEST 2010

Hi List,

I'd like to start trying to contribute to the Openmoko-ecosystem in a more meaningful manner than lurking the mailinglists.

I also like to see if I can add my own twist to my phone (running SHR-U). I imagined combining those two wishes by getting a toolchain running and see what happens to the code I put through it.

Now I found that the wiki [1] is quite specific about telling me what my needs are. I do not want to do "(b) System Integration and customizing a distribution", so I probably want (a), just the single application.

The wiki shows how to set up a toolchain for 2008.8, or that is where the example link for libraries points to. There's an unstable branch [2] as well, but I susbpect it's not SHR-U.

There was a request on the community list earlier [3], referring to the shr-user list and a ticket [4] on the SHR-track. The ticket does not (yet) give me insight in how to get a (minimal) toolchain for building my own programs for SHR, but it reminded me to have a look on the SHR site.

On the SHR wiki [5], the curve seems opposite to what it is on the Openmoko wiki: getting started with a single application requires more setup than building the distribution.

I am a little confused and actually, close to a year ago I intended to take the plunge as well but got stuck following the SHR-guide. Since my laptop (PIII 700MHz, 256Meg) is not the fastest beast (actually almost gets beaten by the "modern" architecture found in my Freerunner), I remember some steps took overnight to complete.

After this lengthy introduction, can it be confirmed that the instructions on the SHR wiki have recently worked, and is there a reasonable chance that I will get through it "just following the pictures"? So far, just browsing, the instructions seem quite solid (thumbs up! :-) )

Oh, I'm running (L)Ubuntu 10.04, with half of the instructions on the Openmoko wiki completed.

Thanks in advance!

Boudewijn

[1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Toolchain#Introduction
[2] http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/unstable/om-gta02/