[SHR] toolchain (again)

Thomas Zimmermann ml at vdm-design.de
Fri Aug 20 09:17:05 CEST 2010

Am Freitag 20 August 2010, 01:04:55 schrieb W. B. Kranendonk:
> Hi List,
>
> I'd like to start trying to contribute to the Openmoko-ecosystem in a more
> meaningful manner than lurking the mailinglists.
>
> I also like to see if I can add my own twist to my phone (running SHR-U). I
> imagined combining those two wishes by getting a toolchain running and see
> what happens to the code I put through it.

Hi,
there is a problem with a toolchain for SHR-U: in SHR-unstable eglibc and gcc
changes really often. If one of those changes the whole toolchain needs to be
recompiled, because every lib needs to be build with the current eglibc and
gcc version to run properly.
In this case you would have to download a new toolchain about every week,
because of that there is no toolchain for SHR-U.

So to build an app for SHR-u you have to set up a bitbake enviroment like
discribt in [1] and then create a recipe for your app like discribet in [2].

But this is a long process, it needs about 10 hours on my PC (2,8GHz core2duo,
8Gb ram) and downloads about 15Gb of data, so a more powerfull machine then
your laptop would be good.

If you don't have another PC you can come to the #openmoko-devel IRC channel,
perhaps we can find a solution for you.

Greets
Thomas

[1] http://shr-project.org/trac/wiki/Building%20SHR
[2] http://shr-
project.org/trac/wiki/Howto%20get%20my%20application%20in%20the%20SHR%20feed