Freerunner - small and fast distribution only for GPS

Carsten Gerlach daswaldhorn at gmx.de
Sun Aug 29 16:03:39 CEST 2010

Hi,

Am Samstag 28 August 2010 schrieb Timo Juhani Lindfors:
> I don't really see the point in having a yet another
> distribution. Just take an existing distribution and configure it to
> fit this task. Optionally contribute back some new packages.
>
> Configuring a system for GPS-only use is an interesting challenge.
>
> 1) The filesystem probably should be read-only so that you can turn
> the power off at any time, right?
>
> 2) The only volatile part of the filesystem would then be the gps
> tracks?

Yes of course, you are right, maybe there is no need for a "new" distro, a
modification of a existing one can work. But when we come to your mentioned
read-only filesystem, then I dont't know if it is possible only by
configuring? And what is with all the drivers for wifi, USB, GSM and so on
which are not needed? Can we do this without compiling a new kernel?

Ok, my first test would be to take an existing distro and remove all packages,
which I don't need. Then we will see...

What would be a good starting distro? I would take SHR, but maybe another
would be better?

Greetings, Carsten