Freerunner - small and fast distribution only for GPS

W. B. Kranendonk wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 13:05:16 CEST 2010

--- On Mon, 8/30/10, Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> wrote:
> On Sunday 29 August 2010 16:03:39
> Carsten Gerlach wrote:
>
> > What would be a good starting distro? I would take
(...)
> openwrt. It's very
> very small and the build process is very easily
> configurable with menuconfig.

I second OpenWRT. The image available for Freerunner is very light and fast (didn't clock it, but perhaps just over half a minute for booting?).

It is usable as phone since it's so responsive (it wakes up before the caller loses patience and hangs up). It leaves more than enough resources for (Tango)GPS.

Only two things I have a problem with, are lack of capital letters (!) and GPRS in the default image (or anyway, I couldn't figure those out).

Give it a try!

Boudewijn