[ANNOUNCE] release candidate 1 for new SHR-testing 2011.1

Thomas Zimmermann ml at vdm-design.de
Sat Dec 11 13:47:16 CET 2010

Hi,
i want announce the RC1 for the upcomming SHR-testing release in 2011.

http://build.shr-project.org/tests/shr-testing/images/om-gta02/

So please test these images and report the bugs so that we can release a
really working SHR-testing.

The image is based on the 2010.12 release of OpenEmbedded and has latest
versions of E, SHR and FSO apps.

Since last testing a lot has changed:
* Switch to illume2 as illume(1) isn't maintained anymore
* Switch from ogsmd to much faster fsogsmd
* Switch to 2.6.34 kernel (without KMS because this causes some problems with
SD-cards for some SHR-u users)
* Everything faster ;)
* And much more i don't remember

Known Bugs:
* There is a problem with the autostart of applications in E, because of that
the shr_elm_softkey is not always started.
* The wizard is only working if you wait until FSO is fully started (When FSO
is started the display started dimming). If you don't want to wait that long
you can exit the wizard with the "Exit" button and do the configurations in
shr-settings afterwards.

Untested:
* All feed packages not in the full image.
* All day usage (so GPRS/GPS after several suspends)

Because of a missunderstanding this SHR-testing version was synced to the
normal shr-testing feed and some users have already upgraded theire old SHR-
testing to this version. We reverted this for now and moved the old SHR-
testing files back in it's place.

Those and all Tester should change the package feeds from:
http://build.shr-project.org/shr-testing/ipk/...
to:
http://build.shr-project.org/tests/shr-testing/ipk/...
to get the corresponding feed packages.

An upgrade from older SHR-testing seems to be broken, so for first tests you
should flash a new image.
If you backup your homefolder and copy it back then you should remove ~/.e
from this backup as the shr-wizard won't run if this folder exists. And the
wizard is responsible for the creation of some important files.

The future plans are to release another RC this year and then release the final
image in the first week of 2011.

I hope that i said everything and a lot of people will test these images :)

Regards
Thomas